I know this seems a bit behind the times. But, I still find sock buns to be very relevant. Especially with summer sneaking around the corner. Also, my pinterest post from ages ago (when I had an old, weird blog) keeps getting tons of pins! So, I figured why not post the old tutorial.
What you’ll need:
Sock, scissors, and a hair tie. No bobby pins needed!
For thin hair I suggest using pantyhose. For medium to thick hair use an above the ankle or taller sock. All you do is snip the toe and roll! If you have pantyhose, cut at both ends. I always say, “go big or go home,” so I used to use a knee high sock! And most importantly! Don’t forget to try and match your sock to your hair color.
Now that that’s done here’s how to create your sock bun look:
- BRUSH YOUR HAIR! I know it sounds silly, but I’m a rather lazy person and sometimes forget this step. And trust me, you do NOT want to forget this step.
- If you don’t want the slicked back look, add some texture to your hair. I use Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray.
- After you’ve put your hair in a ponytail at the desired height, secure it with a hair tie. Dampen your ponytail, just a little bit! Don’t drench the thing. If you’re adding texture use your Surf Spray, otherwise a water spray bottle will work just fine.
- Put the sock bun (pre-rolled) all the way to the end of your ponytail. Wrap the stray ends around the sock bun.
- Roll the sock bun down, adjusting your hair so that it completely covers all the material.
- Keep rollin’, rollin’, rollin’!
- Ta da! You’ve created your first sock bun!!
If you prefer looking at pictures as a guide, you can check out my pinterest post here (don’t mind the old watermark).
And if you’re more of a visual person, no need to fret! I have a video tutorial to help you from start to finish! Just watch here: