Let’s talk skin! There are so many reasons our skincare is important to our daily routine. First and foremost, skin is the largest organ of the body. That’s right, not all your organs are internal! Did you know the average weight of your skin is 8 pounds? That’s a lot of organ to take care of, especially if we’re wearing it on the outside! And since we wear it on the outside, it takes quite the beating while protecting everything we hold internally. So, our skin should be treated with care and respect.
Now, let’s talk face! Our faces go through quite a bit throughout the day. We put makeup on it, we communicate with it, we see out of it, and it’s attacked by environmental toxins! Not to mention it can be one of the first places we show aging.
As you can see, I’ve done some thinking about this skincare thing, but I am by no means saying that I am perfect at it. There are nights where I take a makeup remover wipe, quickly wipe the day away, and hit the pillow. But most nights (and days) I stick to my routine!
You will come to find that I’m a big fan of anything anti-aging. And this isn’t because I think I’m “old” or “wrinkly” it’s because to me ANTI means preventative, not reversal. We shouldn’t wait to see the wrinkles before we start protecting ourselves from showing signs of aging. Did you know you actually start to develop wrinkles at the age of seventeen?? Holy moly!
Below I have the products that I use in the morning and night. Now this does not mean that these products will work for you! Your skin is similar to a fingerprint in that no two person’s is the same. We may have similar skin types, but that doesn’t mean your skin will like or react to these products the same way mine does. So make sure to take special care in reading WHY I like each product (if you feel like it, or you can just look at the pretty picture and move on). But let me fill you in on another little secret: skincare is like a workout routine, it works best when you switch up your products every now and again! So don’t let it surprise you if in a month or so I’m using something totally different!
My skin type is called “combination,” meaning my skin can feel very dry, but I tend to get oily around my T-Zone (forehead, nose, and chin). I used to work for Sephora and I am friends with a brilliant Clinique Educator so, with the help of some of the best skincare professionals and Sephora’s Skincare IQ, I found my routine to work best with the following products:
My Morning Routine:
- Boscia Detoxifying Black Cleanser: I love this cleanser because it’s great for oily skin! It contains Glycolic Acid which clarifies and smoothes my skin. The charcoal in it (making it appear black) helps to draw out excess oils and impurities while it detoxifies my skin. And I love that it contains Vitamin C to help brighten, tighten, and lighten my skin! BONUS: Vitamin C also helps to protect against environmental toxins.
- Caudalie Polyphenol C15 Anti-Wrinkle Eye & Lip Cream: I use this cream under my eyes and on my eyelids (the full 360 Degrees) to help prevent fine lines, dark circles, and puffiness. Can I just tell you a super cool fact about Caudalie? It was developed on a vineyard. A VINEYARD! WITH WINE! And if you know anything about wine, it is known for it’s anti-aging abilities. This cream is made with matrixyl 3000 which is an ingredient that can double the production of collagen. And the C15 stands for Vitamin C, but they have stabilized it so it works as a highly powerful antioxidant.
- Caudalie Polyphenol C15 Anti-Wrinkle Defense Serum: The most important thing to me about this serum, is it makes my face feel fully hydrated without feeling oily. It also has many of the same benefits of the Eye and Lip Cream! It also helps to protect my skin against environmental toxins. This serum is quite powerful so I use half a dropper to hydrate. If you’re just starting to use it I recommend using 2-3 drops until your skin builds a tolerance for such pure ingredients.
- Murad Acne Spot Fast Fix: There’s no better explanation than: zit cream. This is my zit zapper! It is NOT something that should be used every day. Let me repeat that: do NOT use this every day or it WILL dry out your skin. It has 3.5% Benzoyl Peroxide, which is the zit zapping agent. Anytime I have a nasty guy pop up, I put this on it (day or night) for 2-3 days and it magically disappears! I like instant results, so I stick with this “fast fix.”
My Night Routine:
- Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Oil: This stuff immediately dissolves all of my makeup away. Even tough to get off mascara! But you want to make sure you’re using it correctly or you will think I am crazy. Read the name one more time. Okay, good. So you’ve noticed it’s an oil. And what do we know about oil? It doesn’t mix well with water, you say? Correct! When you apply the cleansing oil, apply it to a DRY face (and yes your hands should be dry, too). Gently rub in circular motions, taking extra care around your eyes. Once your makeup is dissolved you are free to rinse with warm water! Leaving your face perfectly prepared and damp for cleansing!
- Clinique Sonic System Purifying Cleansing Brush and Mild Liquid Facial Soap: The awesome thing about this brush is you can use whatever cleanser you like! Except never use a cleanser with any sort of exfoliant in it (like beads, sand, etc) because this will be too rough with the agitation from the brush. The brush moves in quick movements back and forth, as opposed to in a full circle, to help prevent pulling the skin and causing winkles. There’s that anti-aging benefit again! I leave my face damp after rising off my Cleansing Oil, apply the liquid soap to the brush head, dampen it with warm water and then press the button and go! The brush will automatically shut off after 30 seconds. Only use it for 30 seconds once daily, and you can eventually build up to one minute twice daily, if you would like. I only use mine at night for one minute (so, once daily). Use the white bristles for all over your face, but please avoid those eyes! Never, ever go over your eyes with this brush! The green bristles are for your T-Zone because they have deeper cleansing abilities and will help to reduce the size of your pores.I want to brag on this Sonic System a bit because I will always and forever include it in my routine! I’m sure many of you have heard of the brand Clarisonic, the idea is similar. Yes, Clinique developed their system second, but I prefer it as my first choice. I have acne prone skin and this brush is much gentler than the Clarisonic. Instead of crushing over my acne, this brush adjusts and smooths over the top of it to fully cleanse impurities. DO be prepared to break out more the first week or two you use this system. I know what you’re thinking, “that’s the OPPOSITE of what this is supposed to be doing.” And I agree with you, but let me explain. Your face has never been cleaned so deeply before so the brush is actually pulling up impurities that have never seen the light of day; they might have been there for years! So, it is very normal to break out. But just push through it because the results are priceless! You also might be thinking, “No, Megan. I don’t need this brush my hands/washcloth cleanse my face just fine.” And I would like to prove to you just how wrong that statement is. Now as I mentioned before, I use an oil cleanser first to remove all my makeup. Let me show you my brush after I washed my seemingly clean face. I think it will change your mind:
- Clinique Repairwear Intensive Night Cream: And of course I end my nightly routine with a ultra-hydrating, anti-aging night cream. Since my skin is dry, I like going to bed with a moisturizer that makes my face feel dewey. This way I know it is doing its job by soaking in throughout the night. It also helps boost my anti-oxidants to help preserve natural collagen to keep my skin firm. I apply a generous amount all over my face using circular, upward motions. I also apply the cream on my neck, making sure I’m rubbing in an upward motion. The upward motion is like giving yourself a facelift! Anything to keep that beautiful skin from sagging!
Well, that’s all I’ve got! If you took the time to read this whole post, I applaud you! Skincare is important and serious! I highly recommend doing some research for yourself. And then I recommend walking your booty into Sephora and pairing with a skincare specialist to find the right routine for you. If you don’t have time to physically go into the store start here with their Skincare IQ System! Don’t forget skincare is like a workout routine, it works best when you switch up your products every now and again! Now, go get to cleansing!